What is WOTC?
Businesses that take advantage of the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) program may receive a tax credit every time they hire an eligible new employee.
Administered by the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce, WOTC is a federally funded tax credit program designed to provide an incentive for businesses to hire unemployed veterans, disabled veterans and individuals with documented barriers to employment.
“For-profit” entities can receive a 40 percent tax credit against first-year qualifying wages paid when new hires have been employed for 400 hours or more. (Qualifying wage caps apply.)
Qualified tax-exempt “not for-profit” 501(c) entities can participate when hiring qualifying veterans. The credit is 26 percent of the first-year wages when new hires have been employed for 400 hours or more. (Qualifying wage caps apply.)
With absolutely no limit on the number of qualified hires your business can claim, you can receive anywhere from $2,400 to $9,600 for each one of your eligible employees.
The program is simple. Businesses make the hiring decision, and then complete the minimal paperwork to apply for the credit.
You can benefit from hiring within the following groups:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipient
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients
- Empowerment Zone residents
- Marlboro County Rural Renewal Community residents
- Vocational Rehabilitation or Ticket-to-Work Participants
- Recently released ex-felons
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients
- Disabled veterans who within the last year were discharged or unemployed for more than six months
- Unemployed veterans
- Veterans receiving SNAP
- Long-term unemployment recipient
You can mail or electronically file your requests. Requests must be postmarked or e-filed within 28 days of the employee’s start date.
Take advantage of the WOTC program and increase your return on investment while helping targeted employees become self-sufficient and earn a steady income.
Click the links below to view and print the forms you will need to participate in this program.
- IRS Tax Form 8850
- Instructions Form 8850
- ETA Form 9061
- WOTC Tax Credit Calculation Chart
- Long-Term Unemployed Self-Attestation
Click here to view the brochure for more information.