Your resume is what helps set you apart from other applicants. Generally there are no rules to be followed when formatting your resume, but rather certain information that needs to be included like your work skills and past experiences that qualify you for the position that you are applying for.
Some general guidelines to follow when writing your resume include:
- Place your name at the top of the page on its own line.
- Include a professional email address that you check often.
- Provide position titles and descriptions.
- Tailor your resume so that it is appropriate for the position that you are applying for.
- Organize your thoughts in a clear, concise manner.
A cover letter, in addition to your resume, is your first impression with an employer and provides you with an opportunity to direct attention to specific parts of your resume that relate to the job opening.
Some things to consider when writing your cover letter are:
- Make your cover letter specific to the job that you are applying for.
- Proofread your cover letter.
- Talk about work experience that would be beneficial for the employer to know about before looking at your resume.
Click here to view a sample resume.
Click here to learn how to upload your resume to your SC Works Online Services account.
Click here to view a sample cover letter.
For specialized assistance developing your resume and cover letter, visit your local SC Works Center.