The Department of Social Services (DSS) is a cabinet agency with the mission to serve South Carolina by promoting the safety, permanency, and well-being of children and vulnerable adults, helping individuals achieve stability and strengthening families.
Through its Division of Economic Services, DSS administers economic assistance programs to eligible South Carolinians who need financial assistance, including:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, (cash assistance, employment and training services);
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, (food stamps);
- SNAP Employment and Training, or SNAP E&T, (employment and training services for SNAP recipients);
- Food and Nutrition Programs (emergency food assistance, programs for seniors, healthy eating activities);
- SC Voucher Program (child care assistance)
These programs are designed to strengthen families and maintain financial stability.
To learn more about the agency, click here.